View Single Post
Old 02-07-13, 02:21 PM   #27
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Our new condensing boiler rocks!!
During the three previous 7 month heating seasons (Oct 01 - May 01) my ratio of cubic meters of gas to HDD was 0.63, 0.57, 0.51, resp. The average for the first 4 months (Oct - Jan) of this seasonis only 0.37!!
This is mostly due to the following
  • Condensing. Lots of free energy was going out through the chimney.
  • Closed combustion chamber. The open chamber in the previous boiler was sucking up lots of house air, which had to be replaced by cold outside air. Last year our basement's temperature was down to 3-4°C, with -3 to -5°C on the floor next to the fresh air vent (= hole in the wall). This year it is 10°C, with the floor being only 2°C less. The vent is stuffed with foam
  • The new boiler is not as oversized as the previous model. Plus I have more control over many parameters, allowing me to tweak efficiency. Ask Mrs. P, she'll tell you how much time I spend in the basement, or at least reading the manual over and over again.
  • She'll also tell you how much she has to complain about the room thermostat being set too low. But it's not worse than last year. I'm being good this, really