View Single Post
Old 06-18-11, 01:13 AM   #35
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

I have another observation not mentioned here.

The reel mowers do sort of a "floppsy moppsy" cut to the grass that is a bit more shaggy than some prefer. A regular mower has a vortex of vacuum that straightens out each blade and makes it stand at attention, therefore most of the cuts are uniform and give your lawn the "jarhead" gi cut appearance.

The real mower doesn't create this vacuum and cuts the grass as it lays. Sort of a Ringo cut for your lawn.

I don't see the hub bub about raking and catching the grass either. I let mine just fall into the lawn and mulch. Now it once made a mess after a rain, but that's about it. You would never know looking at my lawn that I haven't ever raked it and I don't catch my grass.

I got my very slightly used mower off craigslist for 10 bux, from a rich guy that finally got back on his feet and can now afford gardeners. I haven’t sharpened it in a year or more since I got it. Seems fine.

And finally, I HAVE mowed my lawn at 4 am. I live in phoenix and it’s just about as hot here at midnight as it is when the sun is still out. Once in a while I get up very early and just get it done. I wear one of those lighted headbands and go to work. My front yard is well lit as I have a street light in the corner of it. I have mowed many times late at night, I find it refreshing and I am usually listening to pod casts while the mower ticks away.

This is my first post here. I am also a member over at ecomodder. This looks like a good place to learn.
Wanna Beco is offline   Reply With Quote