View Single Post
Old 05-17-11, 07:28 PM   #5
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed Dog View Post
Found this site because I've been lurking over at eco-modder. Great Site here! I've been tweaking my hydronic heating system for years now, but an oil-fired boiler is hell to clean. I'm interested in ground source heat pump systems and have been following AC Hacker's posts.
AC_Hacker here...

The GSHP and Hydronic floor is a match made in heaven... but the key word is "match".

I'm guessing that your radiant floor is already installed... and that it was designed for an oil-fired boiler.

With this combo, the boiler can output 140 to 160 degree water easily. To match this, floors are usually designed with loop spacings every 9 to 12 inches (usually 12 inches. Or the floor uses tubing underneath a suspended floor. This will all work out if you have a high feed-temperature system.

GSHP run well at lower temps, so some GSHP can hit 120F, but at reduced efficiency. They are much happier (and cheaper to run) at temps between 90F and 110F. So to get the heat into the room, you'll need to space your tubing closer... like maybe 6 inches. This is less than the bending radius of 1/2" PEX will allow, but if you run staggered rows, it is possible..

...here's a photo of what I mean... Only this is an underfloor setup, it should be possible to do something like this inside a slab or on the surface of the floor.

Under floor hydronic heating is not so good for GSHP...

-AC_Hacker