View Single Post
Old 02-26-20, 11:22 PM   #9
AirConditioner
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
What I'm saying about the digital control units is that they have a dehumidify cycle where the compressor cycles on and off with the program so it uses less energy to move the same amount of water out of the air. With one of the newer models running this mode, you might only average the same power draw as the 5k unit, but pull out more water. Just saying, they're available everywhere second hand pretty cheap.
Hmmm...why would cycling the compressor make it more efficient? It seems that most energy upgrades these days are about cycling things as little as possible.

I found my notes from testing the A/C as a dehumidifier last summer. Test was over 2.5 hours outside where the temp and humidity stayed at 73F and 89%. During this time, it collected 4.4kg of water. This works out to an "energy factor" of 4.4L/KWH. From what I can tell most energy star units are rated at less than 2L/KWH. I'm not sure why there is such a big discrepancy, maybe the official test is at lower humidity, but it seems like they try to use the best possible conditions.

Pretty close to a gallon per kilowatt seems pretty darn good! I was actually using it to make distilled water to flush out a radiator...

My house is pretty well sealed except for the floor and crawl space. It was built in '83 but every window and door was replaced a few years ago with modern vinyl dual pane, and they are all sealed well. They also put on new siding and house wrap. Unfortunately I just have a lot of glass letting heat in and out. I plan on spraying the walls in the crawl space with spray foam and putting a better vapor barrier down, before installing a dehumidifier down there. My duct work is definitely not in the best shape.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote