View Single Post
Old 11-09-10, 12:41 AM   #13
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
I know my ground temp is generally 50 to 55 degrees F (with seasonal swings) when you get down a meter or two.

So, it would certainly improve the efficiency of the reefer, and the low-grade heat put into the earth could be re-harvested with a GSHP.

In this case, the ground would be like a giant storage battery.
But what I had in mind with the GSHP wasn't dumping heat from the fridge into the ground, then collecting it with a heat pump. I was thinking about dumping refrigerator heat into the ground source loop that's carrying water towards the heat pump. That way, the HP's supply side has a few more watts of heat. In fact, if the ground water temperature is right, you could sidestep the compressor and have the water go through the refrigerator's walls, soaking up heat directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
The problem still exists that at the coldest point in the year still dumping heat out side, however you look at it the reason that you need the cold from the outside is because the heat from the inside of the house is getting in to the fridge, the heat pump that all of our fridges have is dumping that heat in to the house instead of dumping it outside.
I like the thermal battery idea but why not have that thermal battery inside? say a 300 gallon tank of water that either preheats your incoming water or works with a heat pump water heater, have it plumbed to your whole house, bath vent fans, oven range hood, oven vent, all the wasted heat collected and used, it would most likely have to be part of a whole house design but if it was done it should work well.
This is a really interesting idea...

Can you make a drawing or diagram of that?
Here is a diagram of something similar.
Advice on ventilation ecorenovation

I've read a bit about heat buffers - huge, superinsulated water tanks that collect and store heat from many sources (whatever is available/cheap at the moment), then give it off where and when it is needed. I've been meaning to do a detailed write up, but have been short on time recently. I promise I'll do it soon.
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote