View Single Post
Old 07-04-19, 04:38 PM   #16
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
This free service is way more than I expected and we are very pleased with it. We also just use the same phone we already had for our land line so this also saved money.
Pinball, Thanks again for starting this thread years ago. After my father passed away last year, I picked up an ObiHai200, borrowed an old unlocked cell from a friend and ported dad's phone through T-Mobile ($8 SIM + $3 Pay-Go plan) then ported it along to Google Voice for $20. After that if anyone called dad's old number, I could get the messages, but not pay a land line provider.

At my house, it took me quite some time to finally find an internet plan to replace my slow DSL connection my wife has despised for years. I picked up an internet only plan with the local cable provider (Comcast) for $30/mo that is way faster than our DSL ever was. At that point, keeping the land line phone was no longer a requirement. So, I ported my land line off to T-Mobile then over to Google Voice as I had done with my dad's phone.

As you said, this system just works. I have an Obihai 1032 on my desk at work, programmed with the Google Voice number I use for work, my old home number, my dad's old home number, and a google voice number we got for our farm in Maine. My only challenge recently has been that I want to port the straight talk cell we had been using in Maine to GV, but Google Voice has no more places to land ported numbers on their system in some area codes. I still need to decide what to do with that phone...
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote