View Single Post
Old 01-19-14, 08:19 PM   #17
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I'm at about the 3 year mark IIRC on my LEDs and they are turned on at least 8-10 hours a day on most days for the ones in my bedroom. If I figure 5000 hours divided by 8 hours, that's 625 days, I'm already past the 10% mark on my Sylvania Ultra 8 watt 430 lumens (40 equiv). I have 6 of them in my house and not a problem with one of them. As my CFLs burn out, I'll be replacing them with LEDs and shuffling the LEDs to the places where they are most used. The trouble is that now that I'm getting the full brightness right away, directional light, and brighter for less wattage despite the lower lumen count on the package, I don't know if I really want to get rid of them. Why spend money to replace something that works, but I'm tempted.

I have about 17 CFLs in my house, not including a box of about 5 dead ones, and a box of about 8 old GE ones from the early 90s that were rated for 12,000 hours but the lighting quality is awful, they got dimmer with age, and they don't fit any of my fixtures. Those 12,000 hour bulbs were in place at a house I used to live in for about 15 years in the computer room and my bedroom and I spent most of my time in that computer room, only one of them ever burned out.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote