View Single Post
Old 03-01-17, 02:13 PM   #1
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Higher than normal Electricity bills caused by my mistake

For the last three or four months, my electricity and gas bill has been about $250 and above and about $100 more than normal. We've stopped long ago using the electric dryer and hang dry our clothes. We make sure to shut off the TV when not in use. We turn off the parasitic devices like stereos and unplug anything that is not in use. What is going on?

I finally figured it out.......

8 months ago, I closed the vent in the workout room because you don't want it hot when you are getting hot. Right?
1 of 13 vents closed

Then it was the laundry room vent because it is such a small room and there was boxes put on top of it anyway.
2 of 13 vents closed now

The guest bathroom vent next to the thermostat was keeping the bathroom too hot (and maybe the thermostat?), so that vent was closed
3 of 13 vents closed

Our 4 bedroom house is now empty since the boys have all graduated from college, got jobs and moved out. With just the two of us and the dog, I thought it would be a good idea to close the doors to their bedrooms and what the heck close the vents and just not heat the unused space. Bad idea.
5 of 13 vents closed or 38.46%.

The heat pump seemed to run longer and longer, but I wasn't sure if it was the cooler 20*f weather? Puzzled still... I checked the filter as normal and one night heard that the sheet metal on the air handler would pop once when the fan started and when it stopped. There was my moment of clarity.

I didn't even think about the restrictions to the airflow across the coils. The popping stopped and the heat pump did it's job and now the house is warm and the heat pump doesn't come on as much now!

What is in fact happening that causes the heat pump to keep running exactly?

I did some google searches and found some information here
Can You Save Money by Closing HVAC Vents in Unused Rooms?

Geo NR Gee is offline   Reply With Quote