View Single Post
Old 10-25-12, 04:06 PM   #19
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Update:
Last year the three 220-liter barrels weren't enough for our needs, so this spring I got two more. One got hooked up to the rest, the other is installed in front of the house. So we now have over 1000 liters of rainwater capacity
Only this year it rained pretty much every few days(*), not much but enough for the garden to not need watering, and the barrels to get topped off. So since spring the barrels have never been less than half full.

The barrels will get cleaned and stored for the winter, but I would like to finally adapt the old well to water storage. Unfortunately, at the moment I lack time, money and inspiration to go ahead and do it. Our neighbor has expressed interest in acquiring 1-2 barrels once we are done with them.

*) Paradoxically, the last 15 months have had very little rain. Yes, it has rained every few days this summer, yet not enough to make up for the dry autumn of 2011 and winter with almost no snow. In fact, while our barrels spent most of the summer topped off, the Vistula river (only 4km away) beat its low water level record by more than 10cm (56cm, previous 68cm), the lowest in the 400 years that it has been measured.