Thread: Lawn care
View Single Post
Old 03-20-09, 05:18 PM   #2
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
What do you do for taking care of your grass?
Right now - nothing, the lawn is still dormant. Otherwise, as little as possible. Basically I just water and mow with a reel mower.

Quote:
At what point do you rake the thatch out?
No thatch so far, but it's a pretty new lawn. The lawn is buffalo grass and blue grama, so I'm not sure if it will form a thatch or not.

Quote:
Do you fertilize and if so, what kind, and do you try and use an ecofriendly fertilizer like Scotts Ecosense?
Nope, no fertilizer. Though if I had enough compost (not generating enough right now) I might spread a thin layer and rake it in.

Quote:
Do you overseed and if so do you use the type of seed that doesn't need to be watered that much?
I will be filling in thin spots here and there with seed (I need to wait till summer before the seed can germinate). Buffalo Grass and Blue Grama are native grasses in this area and are quite xeric.

Right now I'm pulling out Johnson Grass (a Mediterranean invasive) and getting ready to battle dandelions and other broad leaf weeds. Although, dandelion greens are edible so I might eat my way to a better lawn.

More info here: Use a Reel (Real) Mower | EcoNewMexico.com

FWIW,
Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote