View Single Post
Old 09-27-13, 08:53 PM   #11
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

If the roofer refuses to put your desired color on after your reply, I'd say find another roofer that regularly installs Certainteed shingles and have them do the job. Is this one of the roofers that forces you to keep their sign out front for a 'discount'. My roofer didn't do that and so I'm sure he wouldn't have any qualms about installing even a purple roof or some other obscure color on my roof. If your roofer is the type that feels that his reputation attached to a sign on your front lawn would cause others to be wary of that roofer, I suppose that might be the reason that you could be looking for a different one if he doesn't want to install these shingles.

I just wish I knew they weren't going for a higher price, when I looked at a store's price in a region that actually sells these, the prices were higher than the shingles sold in my area from Home Depot. I didn't do enough research to determine that they weren't at a premium. My way of making up for it is the R60 ceiling insulation that I'm putting in, which even with your lighter colored and more reflective roof might benefit you a bit too, along with making sure you've got trees or overhangs blocking summer sun. I'm personally going to be adding 90% exterior solar shade cloth to my western facing windows next summer as most of my heat is sourced from glass. I've got AC but am trying to minimize its use and be certain about a 1.5 ton system if my current unit ever needs replacement.

Best of luck, hoping this guy ends up agreeing with your choice for the install!

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote