View Single Post
Old 09-23-11, 03:10 PM   #1
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Default strider3700's energy use tracking

I had been holding out hoping the forum tracker would get implemented and usable soonish but I'm just going to go ahead and create a thread instead.

My house is 2400 sqft on two levels with the basement being partially above ground.

100% electric with great southern exposure for solar gain and really quite good overhangs for summer shading/cooling considering they were not planned I'm sure.

Heating is by an airsource heatpump that is probably 10+ years old. Water is a 40 gallon electric tank without heat traps that turns the first 10 feet of the hotside into a space heater.<EDIT> it's now a 60 gallon, 6 year warranty with additional insulation added, I built simple heat trap loops when doing the install </edit> I also have a fireplace upstairs that does not get used and a 3 year old airtight insert downstairs that gets used a lot.

I moved in July of 2009 and the first values should be taken with a grain of salt due to the switch over.

First up electic consumption

and a link to the raw data
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...thkey=CJC147YI
As you can see winter heating is a much larger user then summer cooling. I bet the AC ran for less then 12 hours all summer.

Right after the 2010 dec/jan bill I put R40 fiberglass in the attic overtop of the old which was somewhere between R12 and R20. I also started getting serious about air sealing. This did result in a decrease through most of the winter when you take HDD into account. The winter was quite a bit longer however and I was working away from the house so April/May showed a spike due to early morning heat pump use instead of me lighting the fire.

My goal is 10% lower usage over the entire year starting august 1st of this year going to august 1st next. My electric company will give me $75 for accomplishing this. so far I was 5% lower on the last bill. Of course that bill is equivalent to 1/4 what one in the middle of winter is likely to be so lots of time to make up the difference.

I also track water usage

The oct-jan reading for 2010 is not accurate. My meter failed half way through so they estimated usage based on the previous year.
Raw values are here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lLbnc&hl=en_US

I expect water to spike up over the summer again since I have 1000+ sqft of garden that gets watered. I did install a lot of drip irrigation this year so hopefully that helps. Costs are tiered here and my summer usage can get downright ugly.

Last edited by strider3700; 10-09-12 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: updated water heater info
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strider3700 For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-23-11)