View Single Post
Old 10-25-12, 08:47 PM   #1332
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
It was me thinking thoughts like that, that started me on this very interesting journey.
  • I had never brazed before...
  • I had never opened a refrigerant line before...
  • I had never bought any kind of pump before...
  • I had never welded before...
  • I had never built a power machine before...
  • I had never dig a hole deeper than two and a half feet before...
  • I had never dug a trench before...
  • I had never built a plastic welding tool before...
  • I had never welded plastic before...
  • I had never blogged before...

It's time for you to start doing research and making drawings.

You could get very old waiting for "them" to do it.

-AC_Hacker

Good advice !

I want to build a off grid eco-house with a multitude of systems tied to each other, including a 120v day time use ground source heat pump, powered directly by solar panels, for reliable heating. The less battery storage i can design into the house the better.

Research has begun, next drawings ! then, sell this house and buy my off grid acreage and begin

Some good info here for the beginner:

How Do They Work?

Remember, a geothermal heat pump doesn't create heat by burning fuel, like a furnace does. Instead, in winter it collects the Earth's natural heat through a series of pipes, called a loop, installed below the surface of the ground or submersed in a pond or lake. Fluid circulates through the loop and carries the heat to the house. There, an electrically driven compressor and a heat exchanger concentrate the Earth's energy and release it inside the home at a higher temperature. Ductwork distributes the heat to different rooms.

In summer, the process is reversed. The underground loop draws excess heat from the house and allows it to be absorbed by the Earth. The system cools your home in the same way that a refrigerator keeps your food cool - by drawing heat from the interior, not by blowing in cold air.

The geothermal loop that is buried underground is typically made of high-density polyethylene, a tough plastic that is extraordinarily durable but which allows heat to pass through efficiently. When installers connect sections of pipe, they heat fuse the joints, making the connections stronger than the pipe itself. The fluid in the loop is water or an environmentally safe antifreeze solution that circulates through the pipes in a closed system.

Another type of geothermal system uses a loop of copper piping placed underground. When refrigerant is pumped through the loop, heat is transferred directly through the copper to the earth.
http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/...eothermal.html

Last edited by ecomodded; 10-25-12 at 10:56 PM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote