View Single Post
Old 10-16-11, 09:12 AM   #10
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
How big is your basement? the proper way of course is a whole new floor with vapor barrier and foam as water will not come up thru 6 mil plastic an 2" of foam, but if you have a large basement and your stairway is in to the center of your house like a lot of basements are then hauling out wheel barrow after wheel barrow of cement and dirt is going to take a while even if you bribe your friends with food and beer! and I bet your basement ceilings are not tall enough to lay a 2nd slab over top of the one you already have.
With your sump pump pit, have you tried digging it deeper and installing crushed rock in the bottom? that is more or less how mine is and it drains without a pump, working more or less as a large floor drain, that might also just work with my soil type.

Have you dug up around the outside of your house to seal the foundation from water from the outside? sure the soil has good slope, but 6mil plastic and 2" foam can do wonders for pushing the water away from the house and it's easier to dig outside then inside.

The floor of the basement is roughly 19'x27' with a 20" thick wall in the middle. So, square footage wise its really not very large.

I have definitely thought about digging down around the outside, perhaps only 2-3 ft down and putting in some foam against the wall, and perhaps a piece angled outward as I've seen you suggest before. However, I just haven't gotten to that yet.

Here is a layout of the basement, where things are and where the water problems are. As it says on the image, everywhere there is a water problem there is a crack(s) in the floor that the water comes up through. Even though the outside access seems like it might be the problem, it doesn't seem to be. I've had it covered up on the outside with metal roofing and it still gets water there in spring.

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote