View Single Post
Old 10-15-11, 07:39 PM   #7
RichInIL
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
...So I found that there was no poured floor under it. Ever since purchasing the home I've had water issues in the basement. Its not horrible, but every spring and if we get a good few day downpour I get a little water down there. ....

As the basement is now I do have a sump croc. It does fill and pump water out of the basement. But, there is no drain tile going to it, so whatever water gets there is just what seeps through the ground.

As I see it I have two options:

1) Remove the entire floor, lay down rock for good drainage, at this point I could add insulation even, and repour the floor. This is a ton of work, but is probably the best way to fix the problem. On top of it I'd like to put some dry lock on the walls as Ryland has suggested and at that point I think I'd be pretty well off.

Hauling lots of rock into a basement isn't much fun. You probably do not need to remove the whole floor. I would recommend narrow tile trenches connected to your sump under the floor near any wet walls (i.e. if the basement stays dry along one wall you don't need to trench near it.) If you can identify the direction of groundwater flow you may only need to install a tile trench along the up-gradient wall. Judging natural gw flow may be hard though since your current sump will influence any observations.
RichInIL is offline   Reply With Quote