View Single Post
Old 10-15-11, 02:53 PM   #6
S-F
You Ain't Me

Well obviously #1 is the way to go but it'll be a ton of work. If you do that one thing you'll have to keep in mind is that many field stone foundations don't have a footing at all and the walls aren't really all that strong. So putting a perimeter drain on the outside is out of the question because when you excavate the entire wall could collapse. You'd actually probably have a difficult time finding an contractor who would agree to do it. I haven't been able to fine one that will. If you go with #1 you also need to think about where you'd put the old slab chunks and soil you remove. Then after you lay down the XPS and drain tile you need to screed a new slab, which isn't something I personally feel capable of doing well. So you might need to hire that one out. Last winter I got a bunch of quotes from people about doing this and it was a couple G's just to pour, screed and float the slab including the cost of concrete and delivery. But my personal opinion is if you're going to do it, do it right the first time and don't have any regrets later on. A nice new slab with no moisture damage, good drainage, R10 and a radon stack is the balls.

Wish I were closer as I'd come out to lend a hand in the demo and excavation.

Edit:

I was just checking out you therad about removing that pad and I saw some columns. They look like the kind that have an acme screw on them to jack up a sagging floor. Correct? If that's the case you could pour proper footings for them when you put in a new slab and use proper lally columns.

Last edited by S-F; 10-15-11 at 02:58 PM..
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote