View Single Post
Old 12-24-13, 06:12 PM   #25
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
The fact that it's 240V complicates testing. One way to test is with two power cords. Connect the hots of each to the compressor terminals (remove the terminal cover and take a picture to ask which ones), then plug them into two opposite phases (a multimeter would help a lot). Just beware that the other plug would become energized so do not touch it unless both plugs are not connected. Only power it on long enough (a few seconds or less) to check if it works.
Nope. sounds like suicide to me.

I imagine the fan and compressor will both start up on 110VAC. If you don't have a proper dryer/range/welder cord to use for testing, I would just use a 110VAC plug. Remember to solidly connect wires to each other and insulate them before testing. This ain't speakers and ipods here!

Once you get your test rig wired to a plug, OHM IT OUT BEFORE YOU PLUG IT IN! I don't know how many hackers have ruined their days by not doing this. Just because you think it's wired right doesn't always mean it is. It only takes a second to make sure you aren't going to blow something up.

Make sure you have a panic switch in hand, and a dry chemical fire extinguisher within close reach. I use a surge protector strip with a shutoff switch and an overload built into it whenever I mess with my stuff.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote