View Single Post
Old 12-24-17, 01:13 PM   #9
geoff
Lurking Renovator

My neighbour moved away earlier this year. Left his house for a boat. He was also a collector of fine treasures like myself. He left me all sorts of interesting things while he was cleaning out his house. Really great guy, sad to see him go.

I forgot I had this beast! I might be adding a ground source sooner than I thought.

He tells me it was from a soft serve ice cream machine. Kept it in his shop for a long time. It's heavy, and it's all stainless. It's a purpose built DX evaporator. I think there was an auger that used to sit inside this thing, and ice cream would come out the front?

I'd like to use it as an evaporator, and add ground source to my heat pump. But with municipal water, rather than a closed ground loop. I think brazed plate exchangers are great when you have two clean closed loops--can't beat that density. But for dirt municipal water, I need something I can take apart and clean.

I can have a machine shop weld a plate on the open end, and I can make a removable plate on the flanged end. I imagine it would perform better if I add some kind of spiral diverter to the inside. Force the water to take the long way and make good contact with the outer coil.

Looking for ideas! Being able to clean it is a must.
Attached Images

geoff is offline   Reply With Quote