View Single Post
Old 09-24-10, 04:17 PM   #4
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Graph:

This curve has an unfortunate shape. I only need to heat the house from day 320 to day 90 (Nov 1 to Apr 1), at most. But that's when the system's output would be the lowest. I see an average around 0.5KWh/(d*m²) in winter, and you can see from the blue line that you're going to need a backup system as well.

It looks like I'd need about 60m² to provide most of my home heating needs! That's 600ft² of collector for my 600ft² of conditioned space. But perhaps such a system would be oversized. With a 400ft² collector, it would fully heat my house on sunny days in February and March, and still assist on partly cloudy days.

The scenario for hot water is better. I can get about 1.5KWh/(d*m²) most of the year, so I'd need 100ft² of collector, plus a backup system for half of winter.

I thought solar might allow me to cancel my contract with the gas company and use a tiny amount of electric heat as a backup, but it looks like that's not going to happen.

There are parts of the country with 2.5 times as much sunlight as Buffalo, so chances are the numbers will work out better for you.
Attached Images

Last edited by RobertSmalls; 09-25-10 at 09:38 AM..
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote