View Single Post
Old 01-13-17, 01:11 PM   #22
Shelby
Lurking Renovator

Again, amazing information here....

Xringer (Rich), I copied your post and forwarded it to my son, he replied that he has the following equipment but doesn't have any of the recovery materials.
  1. "Fieldpiece scale & vacuum gauge
  2. Yellow Jacket 2 stage pump, flaring tool, spare cores & mantooth V2(?!?)
  3. Hilmor ball valve lines & vacuum line
  4. 25lb R410a
  5. 2 small tanks of nitrogen
  6. Mini-split torque wrench kit
  7. Leak detector spray
  8. Nylog (he indicates it's a bottle from 2 years ago)"

Looking at my receipts from the install back in 2013, I see a 15' Mitsubishi line set. If I recall, they cut the lines shorter but couldn't go any shorter than... Sorry, can't remember but I can have my son check if it helps..

I took a photo of the side of the unit this morning. It indicates 'Factory Charged' with 1lb 12oz of R410A.

--Shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
When pulling the vacuum, you'll need an adapter to match the service port to the standard 1/4" hose fitting..
The best kind of adapters have a cut-off valve.. (see red valve handle) Highly recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-R410a...dp/B00M0VL5B0/

When you connect the fill-hose(with cut-off) to that adapter, there will be some air trapped inside.
So, leave it a little loose, and bleed a tiny bit of R410a into the connection as you tighten it up. Flushing out the air..

I hope your son has a good scale to 'weigh in' the R410a.
The tank has to be upside down on the scale, so that liquid flows, not gas..
(You could rock the tank around a little before starting, to mix it up a bit).

The R410a should be sucked right into an evacuated system.. (Should be under 200 microns at least).
You have to watch the scale and allow a very slow in-flow, so there's no over-filling..
If the vacuum doesn't allow enough weight to be pulled in,
then start running the unit in cooling mode.
That will enable the compressor to pull in the R410a.
It will flow into the 4way valve, into the accumulator, and onto the compressor..
You have to go slow, so that liquid is not injected into the compressor.
It's made to pump gas..
Once the right weight is indicated on the scale, shut off the fill hose cut-off.

Then shut the tank valve. Re-open the fill-hose cut-off (10 seconds) to allow the compressor to lower the pressure inside the fill hose.
Close all cut-offs and use gloves to very quickly remove the Adapter
from the service port.. Some R-410a will vent for a second.. If you fail to be quick, a lot of it will vent.. Not good. Global warming..

If you have an extra long line-set, (over 25 feet) you will have to add extra weight R410a.. The ounces per-foot (above 25) amount is shown in the install manual.
If you line set is under 15 feet, you might want to under-fill the system a bit. Per the install manual..
Hope your son also has a micron gauge too! Really necessary to get a good vacuum..

That's all I can think of now.. Maybe the other guys have a better way of doing this..
Attached Images

Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote