View Single Post
Old 08-22-16, 12:08 PM   #33
oil pan 4
Land owner

The max recommended circuit breaker on this unit is 15 amps.

The inside unit only uses 3 amps max so the inside unit got wired with 16/3 SJ. The hole going into the indoor unit was barely big enough for the SJ and 18 gauge stranded THHN wire I used for the signal.
I think it has a small heater in it because the blower fan only uses like 0.05 amps.
I have the unit powered with my welding extension cord being ran off my back yard welder circuit for now.
Of course when I get the thing installed and ready to go its overcast and kind of cool. To cool the inside of the room off with the bed room door open its only drawing 1.2 amps.
You can tell its barely working to cool the room.
Even the condenser fan is variable speed it barely turns on the current light load.
I would say its marginal over kill using a 9,000btu unit to cool down a 400 square foot bed room.
Also I am going to replace the 1960s style single pane windows with something more modern and put insulation in the walls. I broke the small 23x27 window last year putting in a 6,000btu window unit so that really needs to be replaced. Drilling the hole for the "through the wall" portion of the split confirmed my suspicion that the walls are hollow. So I will fill the void by hole sawing a 4 inch hole in the top between the studs and hand filling with cellulose insulation.
The install cost me about $400 in tools I didn't have, a 2 stage vacuum pump which I have been wanting for a long time, an actual gauge manifold not my rigged up pile of junk I constructed years back and diamond tipped masonry hole saws.
But I figure do 1 install and its more than paid for its self and I need to do at least 1 more split install and I need to service the A/C on my VW.

For my next install I am going to put a 2 ton in the middle of the house blowing into the dining room, kitchen and living room area. About 800 square feet all together.
That is going to be a $1,600 machine.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote