View Single Post
Old 01-11-12, 06:39 PM   #10
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
So what kind of HVAC-hacking projects are you working on now that you are trying to find parts for?

-AC_Hacker
Nothing established as far as plans go but I'm really thinking about DIY'ing in an R410 condenser plus coil if I can get something above minimum SEER.

...but, in reality I'd love to just get the tools to install a Fujitsu Halcyon 12RLS which would be the most efficient setup because I'd lose the ductwork but be able to cover the entire upstairs which is two bedrooms and bathroom because mini-splits can really chuck air out and I can position it aimed straight through the room, down the hall and into the other room. In the winter the heat would mostly hang up high and in the summer, the heat that rises would get wiped out for when the 12k of cooling is enough for the whole house. ...or if I just want my room cooled or heated I can just close the doors. The smaller capacity will allow me to better reduce the summer humidity allowing me to have a higher temperature during the swing seasons where cooling needs aren't that high but it gets a bit humid inside leading to a lower temperature than otherwise needed. ...but if I could find a cheap used 14+ SEER 1.5 ton air conditioner, I'll make external lexan or acrylic removable gasketed panes with automotive tint on the outside to reduce sunlight to make the house passable as a 1.5 ton load and add privacy which is something I'll do anyway. If I find a cheap AC unit first I'll probably be doing that first. I also have a friend going to school to be an HVAC tech so I might just wait on his schooling and tools to arrive and then I can get some help. He's already said he'd like to help me upgrade my stuff. I think he was thinking new stuff though, which I'll take a new furnace but the A/C can be used.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote