View Single Post
Old 01-10-12, 12:42 PM   #7
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
Good advice, I just wish I were in a climate where a heat pump would work out better.
Sounds like you are trying to find used units that are already exactly built and functioning for your purposes. Good trick if you can do it.

The intent of my post is to alert potential hackers as to the abundance of cheap or free useful parts and where they might find them. To my mind, that is what hacking is all about.

Regarding the climate that is inhospitable to using heat pumps, Sweden has one of the highest per-capita deployment rates of heat pumps in the world.

Also, Canada is strongly pushing the use of heat pumps, and if I recall, the weather conditions in many parts of Canada are possibly even more harsh than those in Minnesota.

In both of these examples, GSHPs are being used. ASHPs may never be useful for extremely severe winters.

But air conditioners, de-humidifiers, and ASHP all contain most of the parts to make a working GSHP heat extraction unit.

And there is the possibility that although your desire to learn, to improvise and to innovate may know no bounds, you may be living in a hardware-impoverished area.

In which case, I offer my sincerest condolences...

-AC_Hacker