View Single Post
Old 01-10-12, 08:26 AM   #6
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

The trouble with finding heat pump is that there are very few of them in the northern US like here in Minnesota because they are inefficient at even the average January temperature here, not to mention when we hit below zero and natural gas is cheap here to where you need a COP of above 3 for it to work out.

This is compounded by the fact that I've never seen a window or other non-permanent heat pump anywhere new at any store so finding a used one would probably mean finding one of the following: A 3 phase 72k BTU geothermal unit(useless for a home), a 2003 3.5 Carrier heat pump w/a-coil $600(would be great if I had a higher heat/cooling load but I won't wish for that, also not sure what the HSPF is of a 2003 unit but I'm thinking if even the best of todays equipment aren't cost effective here its hard to think its all that great), there's a 3 ton geothermal clogged up and damaged by well water that someone wants $3k for. A Lennox heat pump with coil but no details such as capacity, date, or model for $2.5k. A very new looking 13 seer Tempstar heat pump for $1200 in Wisconsin. A 3 ton heat pump for $450 '8-10 years old' with a "we'll install for another $600" There are new PTAC's 14.4kBTU cool and 13.2kBTU heat for $650 with 70CFM fresh air damper, minimum quantity 20.

I'm a little tempted to find a decent used higher than 13 SEER 2 ton A/C+coil R410A for my house to replace DIY, I'd imagine I'll find a 'it's too small for my house because it gets to be 75 inside when it got to 95 outside and the oven was on inside' situation.

Good advice, I just wish I were in a climate where a heat pump would work out better. Good luck!
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote