View Single Post
Old 01-09-12, 12:16 PM   #1
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Where To Get Parts & Tools for Hacking Heat Pumps

It occurs to me that some potential HVAC hackers might not know where to start. In other words, where to get donor units upon which to perform our hacking transformations on, and the tools with which to do our diabolical work.

My first unit came from Goodwill, and it was a small de-humidifier and it cost all of $25. I probably got more out of my experience hacking that one unit than I did out of many of my much more expensive college courses. I continue to see de-humidifiers in thrift shops from time to time for under $50, some as cheap as $25.

My next units were purchased in garage sales. There are some sufficiently serviceable but seedy-looking units for sale very cheap in garage sales. I got a seedy-looking but functionally robust 1 Ton A/C for $10.

Then, because of word of mouth, other units, mostly dehumidifiers, began to show up on my front porch... I never knew where they came from, but they had parts I needed.

Only as a last resort, did it occur to me to look on Craigs List...

Right now on my local Craigs List searching for "air conditioner" (no photo), there are 74 used air conditioners for sale, 22 of them for $50 or less, and 5 for $25 or less. NOTE: winter is a bad time to sell A/C and a good time to buy A/C.

Searching under "heat pump", there are 12 units for sale, 2 for 150 or under. NOTE: some look so forlorn that haggling would certainly be called for.

Searching for "dehumidifier", there are 11 units for sale, 3 for $100 or less. NOTE: winter in Portland is a good time to sell dehumidifiers, a bad time to buy.

Also Searching in the FREE section under "heat pump", I did find a free heat pump, but I would need to take also the free hot tub that it is hooked to.

Searching in the FREE section under "air conditioner", I found one working A/C that was "big enough to cool a house".

It is best to find units that work, that tells you that the compressor is in good shape, and that the refrigerant circuit has no leaks.

If you are just going for air source HXs, the compressor doesn't have to work, but the HXs should be in reasonably good shape (no obvious damage, not too many bent fins).

Searching under "HVAC", I found some really excellent tools being sold by people leaving the trade... great quality tools, cheaper than pawn shop prices.

For HVAC tools, ebay can be very competitive, also for parts, searched for by name.

Happy hunting...

-AC_Hacker,

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 01-09-12 at 12:26 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
Geo NR Gee (01-09-12), jeff5may (10-15-12), Ryland (01-14-12)