View Single Post
Old 04-13-12, 01:14 AM   #7
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

At my old house I talked to the pro's about my crawlspace.

It has issues with rodents, and just being an unpleasant musty area under the house. It was basically poly not joined at the seams on the dirt, and at the top, it went plywood, fiberglass insulation, floor. The mice and rats found gaps and got into the fiberglass.

Their plan was to come in, open it up as much as possible, tape the poly correctly then pump a concrete pad in place. After that had dried and most of the moisture was gone they'd pull the plywood and insulation out, close things back up but leave the required amounts of venting and then spray foam from the cement, up the walls and then across the floor until it was 100% airtight. Closing up the vents could have been done but by code I would have had to heat the space after that.

They wanted lots to do it. I figured I could do it myself for about $5k. While saving up the money I went nuts with aluminum flashing and steel wool and fixed the rodent entry issue and decided it wasn't worth fixing. I of course didn't have anywhere near the humidity issues you're having though. Being as anal about power usage as I am now, I'd probably do it if I still had the house.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote