View Single Post
Old 11-15-10, 08:38 AM   #6
mrd
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Refrigeration experience

I have little experience working with refrigeration equipment, so this is all new to me. I did spend a few years in the Army working in a shop shared with refrigeration repair guys, so I got some exposure there. A guy spent a few minutes showing me how to braze copper.. but it's been a while!

The Fujitsu manual recommends seamless copper, so it looks like I'll just be doing some flares. I've ordered some tools I'll need, and some others still need to be found. I found the threads here on minisplit installations invaluable!

Tools & equipment

The installation manual for the blowers indicate a need for a disconnect switch at each blower, and from looking at NEC (electrical code) requirements, I think it's pretty much required, although arguments could be made that they're not necessary. I ordered two Bryant manual motor controllers - these are 3-pole switches and they can fit a standard electrical box. Of course I paid like $10 more than this listing and didnt get the enclosures, just the switches. Lot of 2 BRYANT 30003 Manual Motor Controller 30A, 600V - eBay (item 290359539311 end time Dec-07-10 14:52:23 PST) You need a 3-pole switch to disconnect the two power legs and the signal line (NEC requires all ungrounded conductors to break in a disconnect, and the install manual shows a 3-pole.)

I ordered an adapter to convert the 1/2-20 UNF service port to a standard 1/4 schrader. R410a, AIR CONDITIONER ADAPTER, USED ON "MINI-SPLITS" - eBay (item 150499002145 end time Nov-25-10 12:34:39 PST)

I ordered a Robinair 15150 vacuum pump. Robinair 15150, 15300, and 15500 1.5, 3, and 5 CFM VacuMaster Vacuum Pump - on Sale at the Test Equipment Depot

I ordered some manifold gauges, although I suspect I might have gotten by without them. LX1001A R410A Refrigeration Manifold Gauges 36" Hoses - eBay (item 350405911551 end time Nov-19-10 06:46:15 PST) And why don't these inverter systems have a service port on the hot side?

Got a Fieldpiece SVG2 micron vacuum gauge. Fieldpiece SVG2 Standalone Vacuum Gauge NEW: FIEL18 Climate Doctors

I also ordered a set of spring tube benders.

I understand the service port uses a schrader valve. I've got experience with schrader valves from when I used to ride my bike all the time as a kid. And I remember that fitting being very leaky whenever I was connecting/disconnecting something from it. I certainly don't want any leakage after pulling a vacuum. So, I wondered if someone sells a fitting that screws onto a schrader valve, but that has a manual control to depress the core, such that the valve could be closed before unscrewing the fitting. I would think such a thing would exist especially for HVAC work, but I had trouble locating anything. I came across this yellow jacket 18993. I dont know if the 18993 is what I wanted, but I'm hoping. HVACR-Tools.com: Yellow Jacket 18993 Gas Control Valve

I still need to get some Nylog, a crowfoot adapter for my torque wrench, and flaring tools for 1/4 & 3/8 copper lines. I think I'm just going to pull a vacuum and forgo a nitrogen test. If it holds vacuum then I'll assume it's good.. Unless the nitrogen test isn't all that much more work? I'm not sure where I'd even get a nitrogen tank, how much it would cost, if I'd need special adapters, etc..

Last edited by mrd; 02-20-11 at 05:56 AM..
mrd is offline   Reply With Quote