View Single Post
Old 10-29-12, 02:00 PM   #17
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider3700 View Post
my 45 watts(rated) of amorphous panels normally puts out 40 watts on a sunny day. Today they're putting out 6. You'd need an insane amount of panels to power your house on a cloudy day.
I agree - having panels is ok but when it's cloudy don't expect much power - a generator backup is essential (if you are off grid) unless you like candles!

Also bear in mind that batteries are both expensive (for the amount of storage you would need) and have a limited life. I've seen batteries abused and only lasting 2-3 years.

Bateries can last up to 10 years if well maintained but will need replacing. The more capacity the more expenseive.

Off grid is great but it isn't free. Just remember how much electric you could pay for with $15k which is what you'll need to spend on a decent capable solar system.

Remember too, many dull days = no power = need to use a backup = generator = fuel costs. Plus maintenance costs.

I love solar energy. It has its place and can save money but you need a balance and to be realistic.

I have about 1KW of panels, 980Ah batteries (24V) and a 4KW inverter. It's ok for general use in the house (lights/tv/fridge/sockets) but the washer, dishwasher and electric oven are connected to the grid supply. When I have full batteries I use solar. When they are exhausted I switch back to the grid and let them recharge off the panels (I don't use a generator).
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote