View Single Post
Old 07-04-12, 01:45 PM   #3
TheyCallMeDave
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGary View Post
Hi,
You are probably aware of this already, but you want a steep tilt and only single glazing on the PEX collector to avoid stagnation temperatures getting high enough to damage the PEX.

This one is tilted at 70 degrees and still shows occasional stagnation temps as high as 230F, which is about a high as you ever want to go with PEX even in a non-pressurized system:
$1000 Solar Water Heating System -- Performance

Gary
Also, blanking off part of the collector surface with a piece of shiny thicker guage sheetmetal that can be hooked on the frame and removed easily, might be a good alternative to controlling water stagnation temp.

On my Pex Collector, ive got it currently tilted way back at about a 30 degree angle from horizontal and here in Northwest Florida when the outside temp. is at 95 f. in full sun ... at 4 pm. im getting a healthy 175 f and thats just using a 300' roll of 3/4" Pex-B coiled tubing laying in a 3' square wooden box with single pane glass . At first i was concerned i might be approaching boiling temps but alas it became more manageable.
TheyCallMeDave is offline   Reply With Quote