View Single Post
Old 12-14-11, 03:07 PM   #7
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

[QUOTE=doonboggle;18308

My 'presumption' is that water here in the Austin area, is more costly than the few gallons of natural gas usage over a year's time.

Comments???[/QUOTE]

It's pretty easy to figure out. Check your bill and let us know what a gallon of water costs. Then measure how much you waste waiting for hot water. estimate how often you'll waste that much and you can get a yearly cost on the water. If that number works out to anything reasonable then continue the exercise and work out how much natural gas you'll use to heat the water and how much electricity to constantly pump it around the place.

my water at it's most expensive tier is $0.006 per gallon. a 30 watt circulating pump running 24/7 would cost me 5 cents a day. so I can run 8 gallons a day down the drain before the water costs more. Looking online most kitchen faucets are 2 gpm these days so 16 minutes of run time.

This is still ignoring the cost to heat that water. Your water must be amazingly expensive for this to make financial sense.

<edit> I just read the page and see that it doesn't use circulating pumps so no electric cost. Works fine I suppose if you don't have heat traps anywhere in the system. I still highly doubt it will save money though </edit>

Last edited by strider3700; 12-14-11 at 03:11 PM..
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote