View Single Post
Old 02-04-13, 11:23 AM   #85
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGary View Post
One thing that puzzles me is that the air comes out of the dryer at about 135F and 80% humidity. The dew point for this air is about 125F, so the room air at 70 to 90F is still way below the dew point of the dryer air. Seems like this would result in lots of condensation?
Dew Point Calculator

I've been thinking of reversing the direction of the dryer flow through the HX such that it flow downward. Idea being that for any droplets, gravity and the dryer air flow velocity would be in the same downward direction, and that an droplets would collect at the bottom of the heat exchanger??
Gary
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about using gravity to aid in water collection. I think that's a good idea. Have you tried just increasing the cfm rate of room air thru the HX just to find out if you have the right proportion of room air to cool the dryer air?

I agree that another exchanger with sensors and flapper valves seems kind of Rube Goldburg. I'm sure that its just a matter of getting everything right in one HX to get the results you want. Another thing to experiment with after all the obvious stuff gets tried, (which you probably have more to try), is to add some turbulence to the air, such as change of direction in air flow at the point where your best estimate is for the dew point to be in the HX. This might help to extract water just like gravity would help. But I think you probably have more general stuff to try before you get to that. Good luck.
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote