View Single Post
Old 05-03-12, 03:53 PM   #28
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Great Stuff is next to solid and its outside is goo so if it is open-cell, the outside forms a barrier unless you trim it after it has been curing. I've used this other stuff that was water soluable, DAP in the blue can and it is softer and more fragile and I thought that stuff was open cell. It has a warning not to trim it after it dries, so I 'machine tooled' it with my finger after I sprayed it in place but it still has that 'surface film' to it but it cracked over the few weeks before I put the window trim back on.

If you squeeze Great Stuff once it is cured it is squishy and seems to try to spring back to its previous position as long as you don't mash it too much. Probably 90% spring back from a 50% squeeze on a 1" glob.

EDIT/ADD: http://building.dow.com/na/en/produc...windowdoor.htm
They say Great Stuff Windows & Doors is closed cell. It's what I used, as well as a different no-warp less expanding stuff in a purple container that was a white foam but just as stiff once cured but I haven't found that one for sale in a few years. I used fireblock which is also closed-cell. Big gap is closed cell(never used it though, haven't had a use)

Last edited by MN Renovator; 05-03-12 at 05:53 PM..
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote