View Single Post
Old 05-08-11, 07:17 AM   #66
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
Oh, no! A relapse!

After the sun goes down, a single 13W CFL per room is all I need. However, I'm trying, with mixed results, to get CFLs to work for my mother. So, what is it you don't like about the lighting of an institution?

Do you have the same amount of luminosity (total Lumens) in each photo? Perhaps the kitchen was too bright or too dark.

Is it the color temperature you object to? I never could empathize with this point, as it seems so arbitrary. My mother grew up with Tungsten-colored light behind yellowed lampshades. Now she runs low color temperature CFLs. She derides the light in my house as blue, but how is that different from selecting slightly less orange furniture and wall paint?

Speaking of lamp shades, CFLs and LEDs are a better approximation of a point source of light. The result is crisp shadows, and the solution is a diffuser.

If there is any perceptible flicker or hum, then you have some of those cheap CFLs that give fluorescence a bad name.

Lastly, photographing light sources is always difficult. What technique did you use? Was the sun up?
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote