View Single Post
Old 12-09-12, 02:47 PM   #10
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
...My refrigerator in my low ambient kitchen(human comfort, what's that?) and the refrigerator needs to be set at a colder temperature than usual to actually run often enough to keep the freezer at a safe temperature(even though it's set to the coldest freezer setting) but sometimes the setting runs the freezer even colder than it needs to be(and the refrigerator nearly freezing the contents)...
I think you can buy a small freezer for about $130 (US). The running cost will be about $24/yr... that would be the easiest fix.

The PID controller is primarily intended to control devices such as precision process ovens, precision cooking devices, chicken brooding devices (if you want precision), etc. that are heated by electric resistance heat. The auto mode is all about deriving the heating power available to your heating device, and the effective thermal mass, but that doesn't mean that the PID can't be utilized for other purposes... Maybe for steering a ship, or automatically aiming a firearm, or controlling the direction of a self-propelled flying object. The PID controller can maintain a temperature closer than one degree. There are several parameters in the unit that can be manually tweaked (Auto mode is not mandatory). One of the parameters is the time between sensor-read intervals, which can give you some latitude if you want to use a vapor-compression machine for heating or cooling.

The PID controller can be purchased for less than $30, so why don't you buy one and do some testing and report back on your findings?

Kind of a 'learning by doing' endeavor...

Best,

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 12-09-12 at 02:53 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote