View Single Post
Old 05-20-12, 09:17 AM   #10
Daox
Administrator

The main reason these motors are smaller is because they have an open frame design for cooling. This means less heat build up so you can pack more power in a smaller package.

Motor rating is mostly about heat dissipation. You can run a 1hp series wound motor at 50 hp for a split second. If nothing melts and you don't ruin the bearings you're good to go. That is why my 1.2 hp motor could put out 5 hp for half hour spurts for a year and a half.

The other advantage of the permanent magnet motors is they keep a more constant rpm as I mentioned in my first post. Its not that a series wound motor is bad, it just changes rpm more based on the load put on it. Series wound have other advantages though, but they don't really apply much to a mower type setup.

Now, I think I've seen both series wound and permanent magnet motors used in forklifts as pump motors. I think the easiest way to identify a series wound motor is that it normally has 4 posts on it versus 2 posts for wires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote