View Single Post
Old 08-08-13, 05:00 PM   #88
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I imagine the main difference between the no-name products and the brand-name products is in the engineering. Kind of like the difference between a Symphonic tv and a Samsung tv. As you know, the devil is in the details when it comes to longevity. As manufacturers ramp up the intensity, packing more emitters into the same or less space, heat buildup and drive voltage take their toll on the less researched products.

With a low-intensity source such as strip lighting, the failure rate should not suffer as long as you don't feed them too much voltage. The heat is distributed over a much greater area. You could even feed them a little less than they are rated for, say 11 volts instead of 12. Life should improve greatly.

Of course, with the knock-off units, you will still get some duds due to lower quality control and testing. Cfl bulbs are the same way: the Lights of America bulbs just don't last as long as the Sylvanias. With the higher purchase price of high-intensity LED screw-in replacement bulbs, I will gladly pay a premium to get a warranty in case something goes awry inside the package. But for the garage, buying 6 knock-off lights for the price of one premium lamp is a definite advantage.

I wish the big box stores would come out with lifetime LED lamps. Pay $35 for a Craftsman or Kobalt brand bulb, and if it ever dies, return it to your local store for exchange. Sounds like a gimmick, but I bet they would sell millions that way. And consumers would have ultimate peace of mind about making the investment.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote