View Single Post
Old 11-30-11, 01:26 PM   #138
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
How about monitoring CO2 and humidity?
That's where my thinking was leading me, too.

Humidity sensors are not too expensive, about $15.

The CO2 sensors are a lot more expensive. I've seen some units on ebay for about $50 to $500. That's pretty high for DIY.

It seems like an Arduino might be suited to monitoring the sensors, but I have no idea yet how to integrate the data and act upon it effectively.

The single-room HRV idea seems really interesting to me from the standpoint of dealing with local concentrations of humidity, cooking odors and also CO2. It seems that if the kitchen is a source of humidity and cooking air, why purge the whole house. Also, I have had my thinking aimed at sealing my house against leaks for so long, that the idea of intentionally making two holes in the wall of each room makes me uncomfortable. I mean, if there was a strong prevailing wind, which is not an unusual occurrence where I live, I think that the net result would be that there would be a mass airflow through the house, taking the heat with it.

But I am seeing evidence, especially coming from Scandinavia, that direct-vent HRVs are receiving serious consideration.

So far, the passive house approach uses a central HRV. I don't know yet if one approach is ultimately more efficient than the other.

-AC_Hacker