View Single Post
Old 09-21-12, 07:05 AM   #16
Sirius
Lurking Renovator

eco dude,

I don't know what you decided to do, but here's what I did if it helps.

My house had the original 1964 single pane windows when I moved in. When the Santa Ana winds blew, my drapes blew like the windows were open. No exaggeration.

I replaced 11 windows and 2 sliding doors with dual pane argon gas filled windows for about 12 grand. Of all the renovations I have done to this house, that was the single most, cost effective, comfort inducing thing I've done. Last weeked it was 108 degrees for three days straight. Inside the windows felt like they were 80 degrees. Outside, they felt too hot to touch. This was on the south side facing slider. In addition, I don't hear the dogs barking or the traffic driving by or the kids SCREAMING when the windows are closed. I never realized how much a second pane of glass with an inert gas between them made such a difference.

American Vision windows does the triple pane thing, and they are headquartered in my home town. I didn't go with them because of the reviews they got on Angies List. I went with the dual pane argon gas because it was cheaper and I went with a contractor I could trust.

Hope this helps.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote