View Single Post
Old 12-09-13, 10:26 PM   #377
michael
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Yes it does!
Here are a couple of conflicting quotes from Wikipedia in the article titled "Radiant Energy":

"Radiant energy is one of the mechanisms by which energy can enter or leave an open system. Such a system can be man-made, such as a solar energy collector, or natural, such as the Earth's atmosphere. In geophysics, most atmospheric gases, including the greenhouse gases, allow the Sun's short-wavelength radiant energy to pass through to the Earth's surface, heating the ground and oceans. The absorbed solar energy is partly re-emitted as longer wavelength radiation (chiefly infrared radiation), some of which is absorbed by the atmospheric greenhouse gases."

and

"Radiant energy is used for radiant heating.[9] It can be generated electrically by infrared lamps, or can be absorbed from sunlight and used to heat water. The heat energy is emitted from a warm element (floor, wall, overhead panel) and warms people and other objects in rooms rather than directly heating the air. Because of this, the air temperature may be lower than in a conventionally heated building, even though the room appears just as comfortable."

I'd say the jury is still out! Seems to me that most of the energy radiated from a heated floor, whether it's radiated up or down, is going to be infrared, and atmospheric gasses be under my house as well as over it. Probably, because I can't stand the thought of not doing it, I'll be insulating my floor, but that's a ways off, and my mind is still open. mm

Last edited by michael; 12-09-13 at 10:30 PM..
michael is offline   Reply With Quote