View Single Post
Old 08-13-11, 11:44 AM   #9
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braebyrn View Post
AC, so if we were able to go 200 feet and put in three bores is that usually enough, or did I read that it is better to have more? Thank you for the assistance too.
If you are going for 3 Tons, then 3 boreholes of 200 feet depth each would be the minimum amount to do the job.

The reason that folks don't usually go well beyond that is because of the expense when you are hiring it done, or the work involved when you do it yourself.

As you use the geothermal heat during the heating season, the ground temperature will decline somewhat as the winter progresses, so your efficiency will also decline somewhat.

The more feet of borehole, the less the decline, so the more efficiency.

I sincerely hope you are able to drill a full 200 feet, that would be really great.

But you should prepare yourself for the possibility that you might not be able to go that far down. You ought to plan a layout for three holes that are 200 feet each, and also for 6+ holes that are 100 feet deep, and for 12++ holes that are 50 feet deep, etc.

Your holes should be about 15 feet apart. I did mine on a staggered plan so I could pack more together, not such a good idea, as it turned out... it made trenching much more difficult. Stay with a grid layout.

And when you get you hole drilled, you should have your HDPE pipe, welded and tested, ready to go, because your borehole will not be so deep, the longer you wait. They start filling themselves in as soon as you stop drilling.

-AC_Hacker
Geo NR Gee (08-13-11)