View Single Post
Old 05-07-11, 01:03 PM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by green View Post
I have a water well, a 2" inch pipe deep in the ground( I don't know how deep), that's hooked to a small pump and tank which is used for gardening and other non potable water uses.

I know that my water table is high--we live between two rivers and the sump pump has water running year round, and it runs regularly.

How does one determine the extent to which this existing water pipe could be used for a small geothermal system-- perhaps to heat the basement or first floor.

I stumbled into this site, and am still catching up on a lot of information.

I have read about open and closed loop systems, but have found very little info on my type of water wells. My guess is that it's too small, but since it's there I am curious to know its potential.

thanks in advance
tc
So far, most of the interest on this site has been on Air Source Heat Pumps and on closed loop GSHPs.

There is a site, IGSHP that has very good manuals. The are expensive, too expensive in my opinion, but I know of no other source of information as good as these. In part, the reason for this blog is to make that kind of information freely available. If you are interested, you can become part of this effort.

You might email IGSHP and ask what manual they would suggest for you. I think that their original manual has information you are seeking.

If you are motivated, the 'homade heat pump manifesto' thread has enough info that you could build your own GSHP and then you could test the resources you have.

-AC_Hacker