View Single Post
Old 02-16-15, 05:03 PM   #234
ctgottapee
Helper EcoRenovator

Yeah the Gree like it's similar standard models of the past is best for South Carolina winters if you don't have heat backup.
Just because it runs at 5degrees doesn't mean you'll get a lot of heat out of it, or won't get quite a chill as it enters into defrost often. When it's blowing 80degree as it tapers into and out of heating mode, it's providing heat, but it doesn't feel that great if you are close to it.

My late model Fuji, similar to the Mits hyperheat, doesn't start to drop off til it gets close to zero, the spec says 100% at 5degrees. It has run in consistent in -20degree weather, although it goes into defrost almost as much as heating mode and you def notice it more when its -20 outside. It has run in under -20degree weather for periods without shutting down, the service manual details an error indicator that requires a hard power off reset, but I never saw it.

I have had the error indicator for ice buildup causing the blades to stop. Once from the pan build up, and once from a heavy blowing snow blowing into the face of the blades and face of the machine, causing icicles to form on the rounded face and head inward towards the blades. There were all sorts of broken icicles on the ground, so it mulched them up for a while.
The fan stops spinning in defrost which gave the icicles time to form, and then get chopped up when heat resumed, but eventually it was overcome.
ctgottapee is offline   Reply With Quote