View Single Post
Old 04-16-12, 03:51 PM   #14
Drake
DIY Guy

Earth berming was a popular direction in the 70's for energy conservation. I know people that built them. The fact that they are not still popular say a lot about their practicality. Two of the three have constant ongoing drainage problem and all three have humidity and possible mold issues(in MN). They are quiet and blend with the landscape. One even has a sod roof. But they need way more space and are more expensive per sq' that super insulated or passive design. I had planned to build one but didn't. People left the sod house concept behind for a reason.

I also don't see air/air HX as very effective in our cold winters. I think hydronic heat would be a better choice which gives you several choices on how to heat the water. Of the many "green" energy concepts that I have followed since the 70's I'm looking at the one that are still working out. Like passive solar(thermal mass), hydronic heat, super insulation, space conservation, indoor pollution control, EF appliances/lighting, PV generation, SDHW(location dependent), DIY knowledge/skills. Seen many great ideas flash, consuming peoples valuable money with no return possibly even threatening their very health(molds, raydon, contaminated water.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote