View Single Post
Old 03-14-12, 09:34 PM   #2
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

It's cool to hear about your early start. The ground here is soggy still and we've got plenty of time until last frost. I'll have to check out the book because it would be nice to start something frost tolerant or have something frost tolerant into winter, especially after last year, very early September frost in MN. Fruit trees are the only frost tolerant things I've had in consideration so far but I don't mind getting seeds started now for when the ground can be worked with a shovel here. I had enough trouble with a 10x15 poorly dug excuse for a rectangle last year. 600 sq ft is huge, I don't think I could dig that by hand.

Apple trees are rarely grown by seed, usually the root system of another tree is grafted to an Apple cutting because the root system of Apple trees don't develop well. You might need to research what other types of tree work well for this. If not, you might end up with a small weak tree that might have trouble supporting fruit. There's no reason not to give it a shot though. Either way, keep us posted how it does.

I'm going to get seed starting in peat soon, I just found my cantaloupe seeds today(been looking for awhile) and I think I know where my leftover carrots seeds are.

Last edited by MN Renovator; 03-14-12 at 09:37 PM..
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote