View Single Post
Old 11-07-10, 07:39 AM   #27
skyl4rk
Helper EcoRenovator

I guess I will start looking for lamp bases with the GX5.3 two prong system, since it seems like that is the preferred choice for building LED bulbs.

My guess as to about 40W incandescent equivalent seems to be about right for the three 1W Star LEDs that I am using. The good thing about the LEDs is that you can focus them easily. 40W focuses down on a workbench to a 3' by 3' area which is bright enough to read and do fine electronics work (look at small parts). This is with 5 degree lenses on the LEDs, although I would probably buy 30d lenses next time.

I think my cost for a three 1W LED system that I then need to put together is about $15, maybe a bit more because I didn't count wire and solder. It would be well worth it to buy premade bulbs with the same output for $20.

I am still waiting on the 3W Stars. I also have some supercapacitors on the way, enough for a 12V system. I'm not sure what I am going to do with them yet, but I will probably experiment and see if they charge up like a battery. Ideally they would be used to hold braking regeneration power on an electric bike but I don't have a functioning ebike at this time. I am thinking to try out a solar powered LED light with no batteries, and see how long the supercaps hold a charge.
skyl4rk is offline   Reply With Quote