View Single Post
Old 09-09-10, 07:41 AM   #13
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
When I saw Edison screw LEDs at Sam's Club (the kind that fit in a light bulb socket), I was excited. Then I crunched the numbers on lumens per Watt, and I was disappointed. They're a little more efficient than CFL's, but not much.

My GE EnergySmart 13W bulbs are rated for 825lm, or 63lm/W.

The white StarLED is rated for 87lm/W, before the 120VAC->3.3VDC power supply and regulator.
Ditto, I have yet to see LED far surpass CFL efficiencies. Also, work is still being done with CFLs to increase efficiency further.

Quote:
LEDs have a big advantage if you only need a few dozen lm, though. I'm using a 12V T10 automotive LED to light my desk at night, which saves me from having to turn on a 13W CFL. It's powered by my PC.
Thats a great idea. How did you tap into the 12V supply? Got any pictures of the setup?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 09-09-10 at 07:44 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote