View Single Post
Old 11-15-11, 10:50 PM   #9
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Today I started pulling down the paneling on the roof around the closet hoping to get in from that side. It was just too tight and too far to reach due to another takeoff in the line being right there. The broken one goes out of the top of the main line, this other one goes right out the side in the same spot.

So I decided to pull off the side line and sure enough when I finally got it out getting access to the top line was easy. I decided the best fix for this was to just pull that take off out and patch up the main line. After the patch was screwed and taped into place I hooked the side line up and ran upstairs for some totally non scientific flow testing.

The first good sign was dust started flying out of a bunch of the vents. The furnace had ran just the day before but it now had more velocity to get the dust going. As I went around checking all of the upstairs had an obvious increase in flow. The biggest improvement was the master bedroom and the middle bedroom.

Also for the first time I can now start using the vents to control the temperature in rooms by closing them up a bit. Before if the vent wasn't wide open it got almost no air.

Since the roof is all open in this area I've got a new plan on getting woodstove heat to the bedrooms. I'll use that hole in the roof and run a line over to the cold air return on the far side. I just need a couple of 90's and a bit more 5".
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote