View Single Post
Old 11-09-13, 03:16 AM   #16
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Crystal airport is a great point to use data from. I'm at a point where I've got the basement sill plates sealed. In the attic top plates except the most outside facing ones, plumbing penetrations, and electrical penetrations are sealed. Outside facing outlets and switch plates are gasketed. Window gaps are spray foamed. I'm missing the door gap sealing and this point I'm not sure what's left for air sealing other than ditching the atmospherically vented/natural draft water heater and furnace(76% efficient). I think if it weren't for those I'd be quite a bit lower on the natural gas usage but those also pull a decent amount of outdoor air in too. 30 cfm Panasonic whisper green bathroom fan suck is my current setting and the air feels, smells, etc great to me. IMHO ASHRAE has figures that are looking for ACHnatural figures rather than actual forced ventilation plus a little added mechanical. I don't understand how people think their house is sealed perfectly, when its not but then you add mechanical ventilation figuring its the only air exchange between the outside when it isn't.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote