View Single Post
Old 07-26-10, 12:45 PM   #28
wyatt
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
It is my understanding that these reel lawn mowers are self-sharpening.

And yes, adjusting the clearance is very important. The Scotts model I have takes some doing and a little trial and error, to adjust and tighten each side correctly. The Gilmore and the Husqvarna models have spring-loaded screws, so adjusting them is completely easy.
I think you may be correct on the self sharpening aspect... My blade and reel were very rusty to begin with (lack of use, sitting outside), and after mowing the front lawn twice, and the whole yard once (a total of less than 1 acre), the blade is visibly rust free, and the reel looks much less rusty. I think I will still sharpen the mower, since there still appear to be sizable dings in the blade (perhaps from past encounters with rocks?). As a side note, the whole yard (1/2 acre) took me a little over 3 hours to mow... barefoot. I think the time could be cut down if it wasn't so hot out (100+ with heat index), and also faster if the grass wasn't so tall (one week is almost too much).
I built a grass catcher out of old campaign signs (the small ones), and I think with a bit more tweaking, it will work pretty well. I think it would work better if it were made out of something less slippery, and less rigid (canvas perhaps). It would be easier to stow, easier to maneuver, and the grass would have less of a tendency to slide forward when going down hill.
wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote