View Single Post
Old 05-28-10, 07:52 AM   #10
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I had Daryl Bergquist design a small easily scaled up PV system and adjustable rack in late 2008. I asked Arab Electric Cooperative (AEC) to let me sign up for the TVA Generation Partners Program with my 700 watts of planned solar. They said no, renewable energy doesn't work in Alabama. So, I built it anyway. I went to the AEC Board meeting after it was built and asked again. I told them I built it anyway and that the sun shines on Alabama like it does everywhere else. My array was on the front page of the Arab Tribune a week later (July 4, 2009) with a nice writeup. An article from AEC was also published where they pointed out that my system can't be tied to the grid because it has not been inspected and deemed safe and in compliance. So, AEC and me have been going back and forth since then. I have become a regular at the Board meetings, though.

The garage will be powered by grid-tied solar if the gentlement from AEC allow me to sign onto the TVA program. If they don't allow it, I already have enough power to be off grid with the garage, but there's always room for more power. I pray for being allowed on the TVA program. I saw a ray of hope from my last visit to the AEC Board meeting.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote